Monday, January 31, 2011

We Seek After These Things...

The Articles of Faith outline 13 basic points of belief of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Prophet Joseph Smith first wrote them in a letter to John Wentworth, a newspaper editor, in response to Mr. Wentworth's request to know what members of the Church believed. They were subsequently published in Church periodicals. They are now regarded as scripture and included in the Pearl of Great Price.

If I could leave one message for my children, I think it would be this. And I don't think I could say it any better. The message comes from the 13th article of faith which reads, "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous. And in doing good to all men. Indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul. We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." There just really is no room for darkness in our lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it, thanks!

karen said...

Emily, I've been looking at a couple of your blogs. This one especially speaks to me. How great that you are gathering and sharing these kinds of thoughts!