Friday, April 30, 2010

Moving and Music

This week we moved. It was just a little move in distance, but it means big changes for my family. One of those changes comes in the form of where we will be attending church. For my 5-year-old girl, this was a major point of concern. She did not want to change her church class where she had comfortably been attending for the past two years! However, Sunday came and we headed to our new meetinghouse. After Sacrament, we went to Primary where my little girl kept looking around nervously. I looked at the room through her eyes and could see the differences. This room was so much bigger than her last and instead of five kids (all of which she knew very well), this room was filled with at least fifty faces - almost all of them brand new.

But, once the Primary leaders started the meeting I could sense my little one's anxiety leaving. The sweet music leader got up and sang the "Hello" song to her and she was excited that she got a special moment to be welcomed. Then, when they began singing the songs they have been working on for the year, she turned to me with the hugest smile and said, "I know this song! We have been learning it too!" She then proceeded to sing with the group the sweetest song, which is a new one the children are learning this year.

Having never before heard this piece, I began listening to the words and was overcome with gratitude for a number of things. First of all, I felt grateful for our inspired church leaders who have standardized lessons so that no matter where we move, or visit, we will be able to stay in step with what others all over the world are learning at the same time. Secondly, I was grateful for all of the people who dedicate their time to teaching in our church and specifically those who have been teaching my children. And, thirdly, I felt grateful for the beautiful things that we are taught each week when we attend our meetings. To give you a glimpse of the beautiful messages that our children are taught, here are the lyrics from the song that my daughter's new Primary sung that day:

I Know My Savior Loves Me
by Tami Jeppson Creamer & Derena Bell

A long time ago in a beautiful place, children were gathered ‘round Jesus
He blessed and taught as they felt of His love.
Each saw the tears on His face.
The love that He felt for His little ones I know He feels for me.
I did not touch Him or sit on his knee,
Yet Jesus is real to me.
I know he lives! I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me.

Now I am here in a beautiful place,
Learning the teachings of Jesus.
Parents and teachers will help guide the way,
Lighting my path evry day.
Wrapped in the arms of my Savior’s love,
I feel His gentle touch.
Living each day, I will follow His way,
Home to my Father above.
I know he lives! I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me.

1 comment:

Nicole Anderson said...

I remember each time my family moved to a new ward and I had to meet new friends in a new primary, the fact that the message and spirit were the same helped me understand the truthfulness of the gospel. Thanks so much for sharing this! I was recently released from Primary, and that song was just what I needed!