Thursday, December 11, 2008

Light of Christ

One of our favorite things to do this Christmas season is to walk through our neighborhood at night to see the lights on the houses. It's amazing to walk through the darkness until you reach a decorated house that lights up the street. My kids also love to turn on the christmas tree lights in our own home. Even though it is a smaller tree it still lights up our living room.

Recently, Elder Uchdorf spoke on this topic of lights at Christmas. He mentioned that our Savior Jesus Christ, whose birth we celebrate this time of year, is the "Light of the world." In the Doctrine and Covenants we read "And now, remember the words of him who is the life and light of the world, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God." Now when I look at the christmas lights I am reminded of my Savior whose humble birth, perfect life, and incredible sacrifice make it possible for me to find my way through mortality and return to live with my family forever in the presence of my Heavenly Father. I'm very grateful for his sacrifice on our behalf. I'm grateful for this time of year that helps us to remember Him, to turn our thoughts to Him, and to become more like him. I know as we strive to become more like him the light within us will grow stronger and brighter as well.

No comments: