Monday, November 24, 2008

The Christmas Sweater

I read this book yesterday & I thought it was one of the very best books I've read in a while. It is a novel written from the perspective of a 12-year old boy that pulls from Glenn Beck's personal struggle with the loss of his mother and later emotions associated with the self-destructive, hurtful, & numbing behavior that we often find comfort in (alcoholism and pushing away others in his case). It is a story about second chances, recognizing the value of relationships and family, and most importantly, it is a magical description about how the atonement of Jesus Christ can work for all of us. Glenn Beck is a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I appreciate his willingness to testify to others the beautiful reality of the atonement. I too would like to testify that the atonement has transformed my life. It has transformed me. Through the power of His love, I have come to understand what it means to feel joy and to be happy. I have become a new creature, centered as best as my imperfect self can be, around my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. But even through my imperfections, I am able to feel free of burdens and to have faith and hope in each new day and each new opportunity. This book is a quick read and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for something to read over the holidays!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

This does look like a great book, thanks!