Monday, September 15, 2008

Where is my voice?

Because of a few poignant experiences that my family has been through in the last year, my mind has been repeatedly drawn to, for lack of a better description, my priorities. Each time I have thought of where they should be, I seem to be far off the mark -- and excuses pile up. I have so much homework, and housework, and mom/wife-work, etc., etc. But then something unexpected happens, and I am jolted back to that same place again -- priorities. I am reminded of how blessed I am to be able to go to school, to have a home to live in, to be able to be a mom and a wife, and to be able to do all these things with the encompassing knowledge that there is a purpose behind it all -- a driving force that brings even greater happiness to these already joyful descriptions of my life.

If I follow the plan of happiness, I will have the opportunity to be with my husband and children for eternity. I have the opportunity to learn all the beautiful things this world has to offer, and then take them with me to the eternities. And the most incredible part of all of this? The plan itself is joyful. Not just the end result -- living it brings peace in a contentious world, serenity in a rapidly declining society, health an a tumultuous environment, and joy to all those who hear and embrace it. So therein lies my priorities -- or lack thereof. I have been blessed to know the way to find happiness, and I feel a responsibility to share that knowledge. When my little brother was preparing for his mission recently, he and I found an old CD I had from an Especially For Youth outing I went on when I was younger.

"I've never been the kind to testify
I don't have the words his truth deserves
But it's a simple thing he asks
A worthy heart and willing hands
He says if I'll make the choice
He'll help me find my voice" (Kenneth Cope)

How often has a variation of this verse been in my mind? I never have been the kind to testify -- because I don't have the words (or the courage) His truth deserves. But the rest of the verse is where I hope to focus -- it's a simple thing He asks ...

My priorities are constantly being realigned to keep myself on the track I want to be on -- but I have been blessed to know the simple truths in this world -- who I am, where I came from, and how to get to where I want to be -- and so many others don't have this same knowledge. So I hope to, once again, refocus my priorities and work on finding my voice, so that I can show my gratitude to my Father, and share His message. We may not all be called to the field, but we are all called to the work, and although I am nervous about the prospect, I genuinely look forward to heeding that call.

No comments: